Monday, March 16, 2009

Rosee

"Cury" R 52 Rosee





Original Recipe





Take thyk milk as to fore welled. Cast thereto suguar a gode porcioun pynes. Dates mynced. Canel. & powdour gynger and seeth it, and alye it with flores of white Rosis, and flour of rys, cole it, slat it and messe it forth. If thou wilt in stede of almaunde mylke, take swete cremes of kyne.
Ingredients





1 cup ground almonds



3 cups water




0.4 cup sugar




1 cup almonds slivered



1.5 cups chopped dates



1 tsp cinnamon




0.5 tsp galingale (substitute for ginger)


1 cup rose petals



3 TBS rice flour




Method






Make the almond milk by boiling the water and steeping the ground almonds in the water. Let it soak for a bit, then strain the ground almonds from the almond milk. (I prefer to let my almond milk be a bit chunky, but that's my taste, others prefer to strain it through a hair strainer, ie, a finer mesh strainer). Add sugar. A good portion pynes - in general, I've used pine nuts. This time I didnt' have any and substituted slivered almonds. Chop the dates and add to the mix, along with the spices. Add the rose petals (I'm too lazy to chop the whites off) and the rice flour, cook until thickened, adding rice flour as necessary. Put into a serving dish, let it cool and serve. Don't add too much rice flour as it will thicken as it cools, I made it so it was like a thicker custard. too thick and it would be gummy.
Notes; some recipes have you steep the rose petals in water first, strain them and then add them to the pudding. You can then use the rose water for something else. Also, I've read somewhere that you take off the little inside bits fo the rose petals as otherwise it makes it bitter. I generally don't bother. I also used red roses, as that's what I grow - pesticide free - so it wasn't a pure white pudding, but it would be stunning more white! We generally substitute ginger as one of the people we cook for at cooks' guild is allergic to ginger. The reference to sweet cremes of kyne is full cream milk.

No comments: